No "RUN"..

Y'know, with all the fixes I've done this week... new heater core, new
brake booster, a few other things.. (next up, new trans mount bushing
and then fix the passenger door gasket area)...

Recall a while ago, shortly after the V8 swap, that I had a problem with
my engine just NOT starting.  I went to a client's office on day, and
spent 2hrs trying to get it to start.. no spark..

I tried a bunch of stuff and thought at the time that I wiggled the coil
wire and it worked.. new plug wires and coil wire.. and it did it
again.. OK, the funky aftermarket ignition system could be... yanked it
out for a new Pertronix.

I also haven't determined the cause of my alternator acting up last
weekend..

Today, I'm heading out for lunch.. granted, the motor was still cold.  I
fire up the Scout, pull out of my parking spot, out of the lot, and down
torwards the stop sign.

During this trip from the lot to the stop sign, it stalled.  I just let
it roll in gear, and thought that I might've given it too much gas or
not enough and since it was cold it just gave up.. let it move a little
bit, and it'll kick over again..

I reached the stop sign... not running.  I push the clutch in, and try
the starter.. Vrrrooo---die.  Vrrroooo-die.  Again and again.  I coasted
through the intersection a moment later still on a downhill...
vrrroomm-die.  vrooom---die.  I hit the brakes (whaddya know, with a
good booster, I can still use the brakes when the motor's died!) and
nearly sent myself and Michelle into the windshield.. then pulled off to
the curb.  Try it a few more times.. same results.  Try it again and
hold it for a minute.  Dies.  Try a few more times... Vrrrooom and it's
running just fine.  Drive to the "drive-in" for lunch, come back.. all
is well (and, BTW, the heater's causing blisters now!  Now I need to
re-attach the heater-valve cable to the dash slider...).

We've had a recent discussion on the ignition switch and relays.. is
this a possible fail pattern?  It runs with the key in the START
position but the moment I let go, it stalls.

If I wanted to hot-wire it (or wire a bypass in to test the next time it
does this) where would I attach what wires?  I need juice to the coil..
so a jumper from the battery to.. + post on the coil?  I can't envision
it right now, but I think I know which side I want. :-)

The Scout *IS* running noticeably better since last weekend.. I nearly
have it running *well*. :-)

-Tom
'77 Scout II - 72 304V8 w/ Points+Pertronix Ignitor