A quick word on why trucks jackknife.

     Yeah, I know I probably didn't spell jack-knife correctly for one
     word, anyway.

        A sliding wheel has less drag than a braking wheel.  A rolling
     wheel has even less drag than a sliding wheel.  As the rear
     wheels on a semi lock up, they begin to want to travel faster
     than the rest of the truck, due to decreased friction.  When this
     happens, AND the truck is not ideally and perfectly straight, the
     rear end will travel out and around the braking wheels.  Most
     times this happens, the truck is attempting to stop for some
     obstruction.  If the Truck could let off the brakes (like the
     obstruction would somehow get out of the way for 25' of tractor
     and 53' of trailer) the rear wheels would then be slding and the
     front end would be rolling, thus the front would travel faster
     than the slding rears, and the trailer would correct to center,
     and everything is fine.  Bad news is that:
     1) the obstruction for 70'+ of truck never get out of the way.
     2) the trailer after a little bit of deviation from center will
     try to tip over and pull the tractor over too.

        Trucks have great responsibility and only the rookies
     tailgate.  Either rookies, or Darwin's examples.

     -Joel

     PS how come that header drap is attached to my mails/posts, only
     sometimes?