Re: Re[2]: Most dangerous braking situation...

Joel:

Your "brake pumping" is the prescribed cure for lockup of any wheel and
works effectively. The vehicle will always stop most efficiently with the
tires just short of lock up (on a dry surface). This is the point of
maximum friction between tire and road surface. But, once the wheel locks
and the tire skids, there is less friction between tire and road surface
and the vehicles stopping distance is increased.

And, what you say makes sense with two wheelers, where excessive brake
force on the front end results in and "end-over". But, even on a two
wheeler, if you lock the rear before the front, the rear end will "come
around" on you and you'll be skidding, most likely down and skidding. If
you lock the front end first, and the rear end isn't "flipping" on you, the
bike will skid straight ahead.

Hmmmm............. I've done that on a Yamaha dirt bike. But, I did fly
over the handlebars at some point.

:-)

Tom H.