instintive turning

   I may have told this story before, but; tough, I'm telling it again.
WAAY bqack when I was a kid of 17 I had just gotten my licence. I had it
maybe 6 months max. I had a 78 Ford Fairmont station wagon, white with a
200 I6 and C4. Myself and three other friends of mine were coming out of
McDonalds when we saw these two blonde haired godessess getting into a
red Fiero. Well, one of my friends said something and the looked at us
and waved, then got in thier car and started to leave. Well, on of my
bad influences starts yelling at me to follow them. So, we hop into my
hot rod wagon and off we go after them. We follow them down this long,
straight deserted country road. After a mile or so, one of my other bad
influences starts tempting me to pass them. I, of course, didn't want
to, being a good responsible driver and all. But, I relent and around
them we go. Once in front we keep the pace up until we get to a traffic
light.
   Now this is a typical four street intersection. Nothing fancy, four
corners, four curbs, ect...
   Well, the godessess in the Fiero signal to turn right. So, one of the
devils in the back is urging e to turn right as well. So, as the light
turns green I punch it and turn right. (As a side note, it was a very
dry week. It hadn't rained in a while so the street's were dr.) As we go
into the right hand turn something happens and all of the sudden we are
in a top spin! Right, Left, I don't know. All the demons I had with me
in the back are screaming, "We're gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
   Well, being the perfect driver I've always been I turned into
something, either the spin or out of it, I don't know. After what seemed
like forever we come to a stop. The Fiero is gone. I was sure we were
probable in the ditch on the side of the road. As we open up our eyes I
found that as we had made the right hand turn I had kick the rear of the
car around somehow and put us in a complete 360! We ended up facing the
light in the right hand side of the road exactly as if we had pulled up
to the light! How just to make this visual clear, we were turning right
and ended up on facing the direction we had turned! I of course
contributed this to superior driving skill in that I no longer wanted to
follow the Fiero and decided to make a really cool exit by doing a Dukes
of Hazard type turn around.
   I still to this day have no idea what cause us to go into that spin
or how I managed to stop the car exactly where it should have stopped.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II  345/auto