Re: dowels and bolts

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in
cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees)'s head said:

>I installed mine just like you did yours and I'll be redoing
>them now

Are you sure?  I thought you drilled and tapped all of the bolts for your
front hooks.

Mine use two bolts each front and rear (I have two tow hooks in the front
and two in the rear.  On each hook in the front, I used new fine threaded
grade 8 bolts through the bumper mounting holes *and* a fine thread grade 8
bolt into a drilled and tapped hole in the frame and gusset behind that.  I
used large heavy hardened flat washers to spread the loads.  I realize that
the whole mounting system for these front tow hooks is way less than
optimal, but I don't do snatch recoveries (I avoid mud bogs).  I've heard
of the bumper mounting bolts being ripped completely out of the frame
during snatch recoveries... not much I can do about that without extensive
welding, which I don't care to do.

In the rear, each tow hook has two grade 8 fine thread bolts, heavy
hardened washers and hex nuts through holes drilled in the frame.

>I would highly recommend you get the book and read it for
>yourself.

I will someday... sounds very interesting.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |