Re:Alternator confusion.

Drove to NAPA.. no charge.
>Priced a new regulator.. $28 to $50.. drove home.. 4 blocks from home
>(NAPA's probably 8),

Back when I was fixing cars in the Garage over in Imlay City, we got most of
our parts from NAPA.    Whenever we replace a junk starter, voltage
regulator or alternator on a vehicle, and the part is from NAPA, within a
month, the car would be back in because the NAPA unit took a dump....It
happens every time.   I personally like to deal with Carquest.   I dont like
to pay extra for "NAPA CRAPA"...

>Shut the truck down, start it again.. no charge.. blip the gas..
>charge.  So the threshold on the 63amp is higher than idle.. just like
>my 90amp..

On both of my IH's, the '72 Scout and the '74 3X4 ton, do the same thing...I
start them up and the Ammeter shows a negative discharge.   I give the
engine a litte rev, and the alternator finally "Kicks in". Why do they do
that?  After I rev it up, all works fine.   Both trucks run Delco GM
alternators too...

Great.. problems that come and go... I love it. :-)

>- -Tom

I know how that goes.   It ends here...I wish all the problems with mine
would just go!

Chris "Lube" Lublin
Motor City Repair and Salvage.
Specializing in 1961-1971 Dodge Trucks and 1969-1975 Light trucks
lublin@domain.elided