Re: The saga continues

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Joseph Michael Shaw, II wrote:

> my dipstick must be from a different model and be the wrong length.  I'm
> guessing that there was some oil starvation and those are the valves in
> the worst shape or something.  That side always "felt" like the side

Actually, Michael, it's common for IH owners to run a quart *high* if
they're on the highway.. your Scout might not have been particularly
"low", but the oil return passages can get gunked up over the years, and
the oil doesn't drain back down quick enough from the heads to the oil
pan and then back into the pump, so the solution is to run an extra quart
of oil so there's a little more to go around..

Say.. anyone ever experiment with fabbing an extra large capacity oil
pan?  ;-)

-Tom