304 swap

Well,
I found an ad in the local classifieds for a 345 for sale $400.  I called it, he said it had 53000 mi. and a "little 3 speed" tranny on it, it was out of a '69 1100 (2wd, 1/2 ton, 3 on the tree).  I went to look at it, a 2 hour ride, and found that it was a 304.  After a few swears, I told the guy I'd take it from him for $200.  I figured the bell housing might work for my T19 swap project.  I got it home and started tinkering yestarday.  I got it running on the floor of the garage, it sounded pretty good.  A little loud without exhast and I couldn't run it long with no water.  But, at least I know it runs.  I pulled the bell housing/tranny and tried to fit it up to my T19.  The trannies had two different bolt patterns, but the casting of the bellhousing had holes to fit both types.  I had to drill out the previously unused holes to 33/64, but the aluminium drilled easily and it bolted up nicely to the tranny.  The clutch is good and the throwout looked good.  I'll run it as is.  All I need is some new motor mounts and a new tranny mount and I'll be ready to go.  The front drive shaft may need to be shortened, I will know soon enough.  I will use the one out of my '77 if need be.

Howard,
   Obviously the three on the tree tranny is different from the 3 speeds in older model scouts 'cause you had mentioned that the bellhousing from one of those wouldn't have fit my T19.  Is This the case???

BTW, Anyone want a three on the tree tranny, I heard they are great for off roading.....;)  I think it will make a good door stop, unless someone wants it for an OEM type resto.
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20
   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals
'80 Scout II 345/TF727/single speed tc
   Clean machine  soon to have a 304/T19 close/D300