Re: transfer case swapability

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:25:49 EST Gunt0009@domain.elided writes:
>Digesters
>
>       I have a 1980 scout with the dana 300 t-case.  I realized it has
an oil
>leak, I wan't to repair this, but I don't want the scout out of service
(it's
>the only vehicle I have)  Here's  my plan:  There is a boneyard not to
far
>from here with a 77 scout with a dana 20 and a 727 transmission. I'd buy
that
>transfer case and swap for the 300 untill I get the 300 fixed.  Would
this
>bolt right up? or should I just keep filling the 300? Its getting real
cold
>here and speed would be of the essence, how simple would this operation
be?
>Or am I just missing an extremely simple solution because of my craving
for
>excess hardware.  Any comments/ suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

You didn't say, but assuming your Scout is a 727 as well, then the swap
is straightforward.  You just have to change the input gear that is
bolted onto the end of the transmission output shaft as well because the
gears are different for the 2 transfer cases.  If you don't have a 727 in
yours, you need to find the input gear for a manual transmission and a
Dana 20 as the splines are different.

You do have to be aware there is one mounting bolt that runs through a
flange on the transmission into the transfer case from the front rather
than from the rear like the others.  I think there are 4 mounting bolts
on the 300 and the odd one is on the passenger side.  The 20 has one
additional mounting bolt that is not used on the 300.  One problem is
getting the transfer case shift lever out of the way as the pin that
holds it has to come out toward the passenger side.  I cut a small hole
in the side of the tunnel and pulled the pin first when swapping mine
because that seemed to be the easiest way to do it.  I think you probably
can drop the case down far enough to get to the pin also.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]