Run-Out On Rear Drum Thoughts

Goodmorning all,

I was thinking about what someone wrote a couple days about how they
weren't sure how to measure the run-out on rear drums.

Is it possible to:
lift the rear of the Scout
remove one of the rear tires
remove the drum
take the drum and install it backwards on the studs
and resecure with the lug nuts

The drum would be accessible to a dial indicator and you could have someone
carefully turn the other tire on the rear to get a reading around the
inside surface of the drum.  Of course, make sure that no one steps on the
brake pedal, or you kmight have another job to do later(read rebuild wheel
cylinder).  Also, the person turning the wheel on the other side would need
to be careful to minimalize any movement of the entire rear end assembly.
I know it would be hard to move it, but a dial indicator might give a bad
reading if they did.

Just a thought.  I've never tried this myself, and I don't have access to
my Scout right now, but it seems feasible in my mind.  If anybody has tried
this, how about dropping me a line to confirm or dispute this idea?  It
sounds good on paper.

Take care and Happy New Year,
John Wynne
Sterling, CT