Power steering problems

I just replaced the high pressure and return hoses on my power steering
pump.  They were pretty brittle after 19 years.  Anyway, I still cannot get
the Scout to turn all the way to the right.  I drove it for almost 40
minutes with frequent turns in both directions.  I have been told that air
in the system can cause this.  Can these air bubbles damage the pump or
steering system in any way?

When all the fluid leaked out I drove it for a while without any fluid- I
was in the middle of nowhere!  Could this have done any damage to the pump
and or steering.

Is this normal behavior for a pump after draining and replacing the fluid
and hoses?  Do I just need to drive it more?

Thanks,

Brent Fidler