Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 22:10:15 -0700 (MST)
From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
To: Pete Burak <pburak@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: HIGH AMP ALTERNATOR

<grin>  The heater works OK, but.. I think, even if I mounted the heater
in the back, the rear passengers would still get warmer, faster, from the
stock heater unit.

The Alternator part number.. hmm.. I have the box in the next room, but
it shouldn't be a big deal.  Just call around the local parts stores
looking for a "GM One-wire Delcotron" and give them hints like "89
Suburban" and indicate you want a 90+ Amperage.  After they find a 94amp,
103amp and 105amp (or whatever) you'll ask them about the plugs on it..
everything over about 96amps seems to have a 3 or 4 prong plug on it..
*computers*.. yeck.  So, (in my research) you can find a 90apm or 94amp
or maybe a 96amp alternator with the *two prong* plug.  This plug is a
very long rectangular shape, with two rectangular prongs in the
alternator.  Kinda like this:

____________
[ ---  --- ]
------------

Hmm.. my best ANSI art yet.. ;)

Anyhow, the two prongs in the alt. are horizontal, and horizontally next
to each other as well.  Just look at your stock alt. and you'll see.  I
don't think it's extremely important.. it's just the wire for the
Alternator Gauge in the cab, but I took no chances.  Never know what
kinda gunk the 'puter powered alternator would want.

I think mine was $100.. I haven't taken an alternator back in for my $15
core (total of $85).  I thought the 63amp I pulled off my old Buick wagon
had a bad bearing.. but then the 94amp started squealing really bad,
too.. but only when I turned that 300watt heater on.. so I tightened the
belts up some more and no more squealing.  Probably the same problem with
the 63amper, so I'm now in search of some way to mount an additional
(63amp) alternator on my Scout, and maybe making an extra battery mount
where the jack is supposed to go.. These cold (-30) Montana winters can
take their toll on batteries.. I figure if one Die Hard is good, two is
better!  And then, what if my alternator goes bad?  Better have a second
already running! :-)

Oh, wait.. I just grabbed the box from the alternator..

$74.99 for alternator plus a $15 core, so I made my check out for $89.99
at Champion Auto Stores.

The sticker on the box reads:

760-7290 (in big numbers)

Old Champ # 757-0475
SS# 7294-12
Permium Line

There's a bar code, too, but I'm not even going to try to draw it.. :-)

There ya go!

-Tom