Empty fuel filter

>What does this sound like?  It could be carb problem, but I still tend
>to lean toward a pump problem.  I have bought an electric fuel pump, but
>didn't want to hook it up until I absolutely had to.
>Should I try that next?  Carb?  What do you think?
>Also, this has two different tanks-duals-is it possible to place a good
>pump somewhere to "suck" from both, or do I need to focus on one alone
>for now?  More ideas/input GREATLY appreciated!
>
>Happy Holidays!!!
>
>Michael

Michael,
The fact that the engine will run on starter fluid, and I assume
gasoline, put down the carb, and that the fuel filter goes dry as the
engine dies from a lack of gas, means to me that you either have a fuel
pump problem or a partially plugged gas line, or perhaps the inlet in the
tank.  I would suggest that you try your electric pump, but before you
hook it up, blow air back into the gas tank to make sure that the gas
line is clear. In fact, you  could do that before you hook up the
electric pump and see if the mechanical pump works after that.

Wherever the mechanical pump is sucking to give it access to the dual
tanks should also work for the electric pump.
John Hofstetter

Just happened to think: Is it possible that with the dual tanks, the
mechanical pump is sucking air from one of the tanks because the
selection valve isn't fully isolating the empty tank?