Re: WM Fuel Problems

As the little green aliens inserted a searing hot probe into the sternum of
"Joseph M. Shaw, II" <MikeIIDC@domain.elided>, a blood curdling scream was
heard...

>Should I try that next?  Carb?  What do you think?
>Also, this has two different tanks-duals-is it possible to place a good
>pump somewhere to "suck" from both, or do I need to focus on one alone
>for now?  More ideas/input GREATLY appreciated!

My vote is that:

A) You need a new fuel pump

or

B) You have a clogged fuel inlet screen in the tank.

"A" is easy to verify by doing a fuel pressure and volume test.  The simple
one is the volume test.  Disconnect the fuel line after the pump and stick it
in a large mason jar.  Crank the engine for 15 seconds and measure how much
fuel comes out.  Multiply that by 4 and you have the output at crank speed per
minute (see your shop manual for specs).

For the pressure test, you hook a fuel pressure gauge to the end of the line
(after the pump) and crank until the highest reading is obtained.

If you getting good pressure and volume, then you can safely assume the pump
is adequate and nothing is wrong with the fuel supply.  If not, then you
should go ahead and replace the pump and repeat the test.

If after replacing the pump you still don't have adequate volume and pressure,
then you have a plugged or clogged line or fuel tank inlet filter.  In that
case you have to drop the tank and fix the problem.

As Jerry W. suggested, you can use a fuel line connected to a 5 GA Jerry can
as a temporary fuel tank to verify that the carb or engine isn't the problem.
But if I understood you right, you saw the fuel filter empty out, so I'd say
it's a fuel supply problem... not a carb or engine problem.  Although it may
become an engine problem if you keep squirting gallons of starter fluid in it!
<grin>

Merry Christmas and good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke