Re: Dans master cylinder

In a brilliant stroke of genius, jmbrodsky@domain.elided blurted out:

>As the seals inside a master cylinder wear, they still maintin their function as
>long as a reasonable pressure is kept on the seal.  They are umbrella seals,

>...AutoZone #10-1339, $12.99.  Lifetime.

I bought one of these cheapie rebuilt lifetime master cylinders a few
months ago (don't recall exactly when... maybe this summer) and it's
already starting to act up just like Dan's... You know... occasionally the
pedal goes nearly all the way to the floor.  I'm really starting to get
tired of this crap!

Every time they get a used master cylinder to rebuild, I suspect the
rebuild shops hone the master cylinder bores to the point that even the
slightest wear on the umbrella seal lip causes less than perfect sealing.
I've had this same experience buying rebuilt master cylinders for other
cars I've owned.  They don't last very long.

I think I may take this "lifetime" master cylinder back for a refund and
put the money toward a *new* one from NAPA and be done with it.  On the
other hand, it doesn't take long to swap out a master cylinder and bleed
the brakes. <sigh>

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)