Michael's air leak

>I am, for now,
>just plugging this hole and driving to see if things are better.  Does
>that sound acceptable?
>Any input on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Michael

Michael,
Some vacuum lines are controlled by valves activated by radiator heat and
such, and I don't want to go out in the snow and look at my diagram, but
it certainly seems to me that you could be leaking vacuum at start-up and
not after it is warmed up, but mind you, I'm only trying to guess. At any
rate, blocking off the line isn't going to hurt anything, but ultimately
your Scout should run better at all temperatures if you replace the
fitting and hook everything back up. I doubt if out-of-California Scouts
had the system you describe.
John H.