Battery question

Harvesters,

Has anyone ever had a battery go bad in any way other than the usual?  I
mean, every time I've had a battery go bad, it manifests itself by
increasing difficulty cranking the engine, until it just won't go.  Or
sometimes, on a first cold morning, it's just suddenly dead.

But have you ever had a battery 'break'?  Can the plates inside the
battery come loose, or can the battery develop an internal short?  An
intermittent open in the circuit?

I'm experiencing some strange electrical problems that *seem* like there
is an intermittent opening *in* the battery somehow.

With tight connections all around, relatively new, heavy (2) gauge
cables, and clean terminals, I'm out of ideas.

Rob H.