tow hoks

John L and Binders,
    You and I have our tow hook installed by drilling and tapping the
frame behind the bumper carridge bolt. I need to warn you about this.
   I, as you know, was towed out of the woods two weeks ago using the
one (drvers) side tow hook. After getting home I noticed that the metal
under the tow hook had been dimpled up into the frame and that the rear
bolt was loose.
   My theory, We installed the hooks on a slight angle because we were
overhanging the bumper metal. Also, I used a bolt that could have been a
little longer, but this is erelivant to the problem. I think the angled
hook added extra pressure to that portion of metal and from the pulling
forces of being towed over uneven ground, bent the metal. The hook
didn't come off, but that rear bolt is loose becasue of the dimpled
metal.
   Solution. If I take a piece of stock the thickness of the bumper and
use it as a washer and distribute the load over more of the frame there
it would help. Also that would add more thickness of metal to resist
bending.
   Just wanted to prevent damage or injury. I'll have to get these fixed
before any more heavy duty wheeling requires their use.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II  345/auto