60 MPH downshift?!!!

>1) It seems like the max 3 to 2nd downshift RPM is below spec.  Like I
said,
>it won't downshift at 60 mph floored.. it works fine at lower speeds.
What
>inhibits downshift after a certain RPM?

>2) Because I'm so afraid of anything going wrong, I want to baby the
>transmission.  It has an tranny cooler, I'm going to add a tranny filter,
>too.  What about synthetic ATF?  I saw some Mobil One, but I know that
>there's like two kinds of ATF and I didn't know whether this was the right
>stuff.

Chris:
  a 60 MPH downshift, even if you can adjust the rod to do it, is
_ANYTHING_
but "babying" that tranny.  It is highly likely that the sudden stress
induced
by such, in combination with pulling a loaded horse trailer, will break
something.  I seem to recall mine downshifting at about 45 MPH when
loaded, crossing a mountain pass.  And even that was a good shock on the
driveline.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup