Re: Vac advance?

     Tark,

        Are you sure the timing is good?  Every time I have
     experienced your symptoms, it's been retarded timing, and I
     needed to keep the revs up to get the mech advance to take up the
     slack.  You just may have slipped a tooth on the timing.  At
     least that is what mine did, before it took a crap on the
     highway.  Low probability though.  Check the plugs too.  Fouled
     plugs can ruin your day.  Everything else in the truck is ok?
     Maybe you have a bad gold-box?  Sounds weird, but I would avoid
     neutral drops at all costs.

        Dirty carb could always do it.  When you get off the idle
     circuit it runs ok?  Sounds like my T'all TQuad on a cold
     morning.  I have to pump like a mad man to get it to accelerate
     without dying.

     -Joel Brodsky
        www.physics.arizona.edu/~jbrodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II Spirit 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?

-----INCLUDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----

Yah,
  Its seems more and more like I might have something trapped in the idle
   circuits, but it will idle ok, its just when I shift into gear.  The load is
   too much for it to take.  I know the accelerator pump is good.  On the other
   hand, I was nuetral dropping to get it going, worked the best, still not good
   though.  I will pull the distributor and clean/inspect it as best I can...
   Before I try any of this though I will change the points, the condensor, cap,
   rotor, and wires trying to run it after each step to see what happens.  I
   have known this engine for about 10 years, never to have had any major
   problems except for a slight rap which is at this point the least of my
   worries.  It probably has about 300,000 mi on it.  If I can't get it
   straightened out, I will swap in the '77 engine, that one is all set.....
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20
   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals
'80 Scout II '74 345/TF727/single speed tc
     Clean machine

RFC-822-headers: