Re: Mean Green

In a message dated 12/14/98 9:29:02 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jlfleck@domain.elided writes:

<< I talked to the rep about
 them and they run $299 each and happen to be the same as the gm
 application. >>

What GM application?  These are 4wd starters, so that narrows it to Chevy and
GMC trucks, both of which use Chevy engines.  Chevy V-6s, small blocks, and
big blocks all used a starter that bolted from the bottom at least up until
the new small blocks came out.  The IH starters bolt in from the front.  I
don't see a way to make a starter to accomodate both mounts because the two
require a completely different shape on the top side of the starter nose.  The
only possibility I see is an interchange with the new small block or with one
of the GM 4-cylinders, but I doubt that either of those uses a 30+ year old
starter design.  I suppose it could interchange with a non-Chevy GM V-8, but
as I understand Mean Green's advertising they're specializing in the 4wd
market.  If they think the IH starter is the same as a GM truck application,
I'd check into it before I ordered one.

Jerry Muncie