Re: 70's 196 into a '66 800???

"daniel.r.felix.1" wrote:

> He said the engine is new enough it has the "electronic" ignition.  I
> said, "gold box?" and he said yes.  So that leads me to believe that the
> engine is from mid 70's.  He also said that it didn't have any of the smog

74 through.. 78?  In any manner, the motor would be from a Scout II,
unless it was from some stationary pump system or some such.

> What will it take to fit in my Scout?? I have a '66 800 w/a 152 3 spd.  I
> assume new motor mounts.

I think, in this case, a lot.  Well, maybe.

The 196 you're looking at uses the V8 mounting arrangement.. so I think
swapping this 196 into your 800 would be similar to stuffing a V8 in
there... see the BB FAQ regarding a V8 into a 4cyl 800 and what's
invovled.. torch + welder are on the list of tools required..

OTOH, it may be possible to locate a 196 w/ "slant intake" and the right
motor mount changes to make the 196 a "slant-196" and mount it just like
your 152..

But it would at least require swapping the intake out.

> Will it bolt up to my current tranny??  If not, will I need to get a whole
> new tranny?

Yes and no.  If you mount the motor like in a Scout II, that is,
straight up, you'll need a different bellhousing for your transmission.
If you get the parts to mount it at an angle, like your 152, your
current tranny and bellhousing should bolt right up.

> Is it any harder to work on an engine with a gold box??  What does it take
> to get around/replace the gold box (i.e. Jacobs, MSD, etc)??

Not any harder.  If you want to replace it, you'll need to get a
distributor from an earlier 4cyl.. I wonder if your 152's distributor
would work..

> Is this thing really worth the $800 he wants for it?  I don't have that
> money right now, but he said since I am local, he will take part now, and
> part later.   I know a rebuild will cost me around $1k.

Are you after a good rebuilt motor now?  $1k would buy quite a few
junkyard 196s that probably run pretty well.

> Oh, if, for some dumb reason, I do decide to get it, what kind of smog
> equipment will it have to have??  What the engine year specifies, or what
> the truck year specifies??  (I am thinking that since it was donated and
> not put in a vehicle, it didn't have to have any smog equip...)

The 196 in my '77 Scout II (which I think came from a '76 Scout II) had
no smog equipment.  No cat, no air pump.

> Where on the engine do I need to look to find a serial number that can be
> used to put a date on the engine??

Passenger side, just below the fuel pump I believe..

> Man am I jumping in WAY over my head. *grin*

<grin>  You are if you want to put that 196 in "as-is" and upright!
;-)

-Tom (with a good running 196 on the side of the garage, stationary, on
a pallet, tarped for the winter)