tranny swap, hell ride home from NJ

Well,
I'm home, but the Scout's not...I made it all the way to Spencer, MA.  About 20 min from my house, finally just couldn't keep it going anymore.  The thing runs great after about 2200 RPM.  The only thing I can think of that makes sense is the vacuum advance actuator is shot.  I pulled it right off the distributor and set the advance where I thought it should be at idle and it fired up, I drove it another 100 yards and I couldn't keep it going anymore, no advance as I got up speed.
  My dad came down and picked me up, I'll get it towed home tomorrow, pick up a new VA actuator, and try out my theory.  The lifters were making some racket though, I think they might all be collapsed.  I will change the oil and run it up to see if it helps, otherwise it might be a good time for a cam job.
  The rest of the trip was kinda like the movie "Speed", except there were no nice looking woman with me, and I was in a scout, not a bus.  I even blew right through one toll without paying at the George Washington bridge.  I was dreading every stop for tolls or gas.  Thank God I didn't hit any traffic jams, I would have had to set up camp for the night.  I had to do a Neutral drop just to get going everytime I stopped for anything, and that only worked marginally well.
  Dan, I would have called you but the number is in the truck, but I figured you'ld be on the digest before bed.
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20