Re: What he said..

>1) the point at which the trans (when in "Drive") will automatically DROP
>to second based on throttle position, kickdown linkage, etc.
>
>I thought from your earlier post, Chris, that you were talking about #2.
>This post leads me to believe that you're referring to #1.  "Lengthening"
>the kickdown linkage a bit will cause your auto trans to make an "automatic
>downshift" a bit sooner, if that's what you're looking for.

Yup, #1.  Could you elaborate further?

BTW, what I am looking at is CTS2494-G, pg 50.  It gives a chart of all the
rpms (light throttle upshift, full throttle upshift, Kickdown maximum, etc.)

And interestingly enough, they vary for the different engines.  Now I don't
know if this control is external or internal, but if it's internal then
there really are different trannys (or at least different adjustments for
the following groups:

1) 232
2) BG265
3) V304 Scout
4) V304 D-line
5) V392

Unfortunately, this manual is for up to '71 and it talks about a kickdown
switch under the pedal, which my '73 doesn't have.  But it is for the 727??
(13039,13049, 13409).  The 727 is 13409, but it sure looks like the same
thing.  Yet the 727 didn't come until after... oh, never mind.

Anyway, for the V392 the max 3/2 kickdown is 2525-2600 and the 2/3 full
throttle upshift is 3850-3950.  Even if this isn't the 727 spec sheet, I
would expect the 727 to be set the same.

So when I was climbing that hill, I expected the truck to downshift when my
foot went to the floor at 60mph (2426 RPM) and then upshift again at 66 mph.
Actually, now that I've calculated the upshift it hardly seems worth the
bother.

If you want to check my math: 31" tires, 3.73 gears, using the 1.45 2nd gear
posted on the BB page.