Scared of 727?

> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:25:06 -0500
> From: "Chris and Ranae Procyk" <procyk19@domain.elided>
> Subject: What he said..
>
> >All that said, juice-boxes are like "magic" in my view.  That's why I
> >prefer 4-speeds.  Sorta similar to my relationship with carbs & EFI. <g>
>
> Gee, me too.  My 727 scares the h*ll out of me... but not as much as what my
> wife would do to me if I replaced it with a stick!

<snip>

> 1) It seems like the max 3 to 2nd downshift RPM is below spec.  Like I said,
> it won't downshift at 60 mph floored.. it works fine at lower speeds.  What
> inhibits downshift after a certain RPM?

The problem is that at 60 MPH your Scout is going too fast to downshift.
Don't forget you're dealing with a truck engine with max torque at low
RPMs with trans shift points set at low RPMs accordingly.

> 2) Because I'm so afraid of anything going wrong, I want to baby the
> transmission.

Baby the 727?????

The 727 is a real heavy duty trans - after it was developed by Chrysler in
the 60's, (caution - ancient history here)  Roger (color me gone)
Lindamood (Sp?) used it in his 1/4 mile modified stock bodied drag cars.
And among others, Don Garlits also used it in his stock MOPAR drag cars.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anyone to abuse their 727s.

The MOPAR 727s would TWack (having personal experience, I mean
TWwwwwwaaack!!) through the gears behind a 440 Wedge or 427 Hemi (dual 4
barrel carbs) MOPAR engine in a street car.

With the big block engine(s) backed by a 727 (remember we're talking 60s
ancient history), the big body Plymouth & Dodge road cars could downshift
from 3rd to 2nd at 60+ MPH and get sideways real quick - and it made your
heart beat fast to drive down the road looking out the driver's door
window (or the passenger side).

"Jus some good ole boys. . .  never meant no harm. . "

The 727 (continuing with ancient history) was also good for pulling. . .
horse trailers, dump trucks. . .

If your transmision needs the bands adjusted, a shift kit or a complete
overhaul, do it!!

It's not that expensive.

And you'll find out - as I did with my Scout II w/727 - it's cheaper to
rebuild the 727 than converting to a manual shift transmission with
clutch.

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided