Re: Help Replacing Sliding Side Windows

Senior Mandera:

That brings up a good point.

I had always envisioned having both a Terra Top and a Traveler top for my
118" monster and "going topless" in the summer, sav for maybe a bikini top
across some roll bars.

But alas, there is much against going topless. Vandalism and theft, when
you live in the urbs like I do; the problem of removing the top (it ain't
all that easy); the wet seats; the nights that drop into the 40s when
driving "topless" is damn cold (even here in sunny CA); the potential
damage to the nice interior (with carpeting no less) I was planning on
putting into the Traveler now that I've lived with the full top for a
while; the constant banging and damage that results from the on and off of
that 250 lb Traveler top; the PIA of lining up the rear hatch and having to
remove/replace it everytime.

So now, I was pretty much resigned to leaving the Traveler top on
semi-permanently and making a trailer to haul the "dirty stuff" in so I
don't get tree sap, paint and engine oil all over the interior on my
Traveler (vs what I used to do to the metal bed when it was a Terra.

To top all that off, due to the difficulty of removing/replacing the
bulkhead and tailgate, combined with the fact that Traveler's have trim,
gaskets and latches for the hatch that Terras don't and vice a versa, I
don't think I'll be put putting the Terra top on and off too often and will
probably just sell or trade it instead along with my two useless tailgates.

And finally, I've come to realize that I might take that Traveler down
roads that none of my full size, 1/2 ton pickup loving freinds would ever
dare drive their "black beauties" and "extended cab diesel pushers" down as
I have in the past, with it's 118" wheelbase it's never going to be a real
"down and dirty, rock crawling, stream crossing, tree climbing, off-road
machines. No, I think there is a Scout 80 or 800 in my future for such a
use :-).

So, I think my top will  just be staying on. I'd love to go topless in the
summer, but it just seems like such a pain.

Let me ask you this, how many folks out there with Travelers take their
tops off for the summer? How many of those who do, have a nice interior?

Tom H.