FW: Tranny rebuilds

-----Original Message-----
From:	Hitchcox, Ken
Sent:	Friday, December 11, 1998 7:58 AM
To:	‘ihc-digest@domain.elided’
Subject:	Tranny rebuilds

	>Just so you and anyone else preparing to rebuild their transmission
knows,
	>the IH shop manual contains a procedure for hand flushing the
torque
	>convertor if the fluid is contaminated.  The process involves
pouring in 2
	>quarts of solvent (they mention kerosene), swirling and shaking the
unit,
	>turning the impellers by hand via the input shaft, then draining
through
	>the small drain plug.  They say to repeat this as many times as
needed
	>until the solvent comes out clear.  Finally the convertor is
flushed with
	>transmission fluid.

	>Sounds a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one because of
possible
	>contamination!

John,
So the only reason to replace the Torque converter is because of
contamination? Otherwise, they don’t wear out? What did I get when I got a
rebuilt converter? Just a very clean one?  It’s sounding more and more like
I should attempt to rebuild the tranny on the traveller (project # 9,983 and
I’m on # 4).  Costs should be:
Rebuild kit 		$50- $80
Clean T converter	$10 for kerosene and tranny fluid
Or rebuilt converter	$90
Misc			$50 - $100 (input shaft?)

Are there any major components that wear out and need replacement? Like
pumps or?
Ammco had to replace the input shaft also because it was worn and tranny
fluid was leaking around it. The rebuild kits in jc whitney included front
and real seals I believe.
				Joel B,

Did you say you can get all the reseal gaskets for your t-case at a
transmission shop?
Ken