Re: holley 2300 carbs

When the truth serum kicked in, s_mcdougald@domain.elided (s. mcdougald) blurted
out...

>   I recentily converted my stock carb over to a Holley 2300 series
>carb.  Th conversion went fine with one excieption.....  the fuel
>mixture is extremely ritch.  I consulted  the FAQ index and one person
>changed the jets from #73's to #63's to pass the emissions test.  But in
>the "big white book" (the shop manual)on the "specifications" sheet fir
>the 2300 carb it states the the main jets should be #52's.  Would
>changing the jets fix my fuel mixture problem?  I saved the jets out of
>my stock carb but the are #522's could i use these or does any one have
>a better suggestion?

Scott,

If your carb is indeed running rich at cruise (not idle), then yes, changing
to smaller jets will help.  Forget what the FAQ says for now.  The first thing
you'll need to do is see what jets you have in there now.  You'll need to take
the cover off the carb and carefully unscrew the jets one at a time to take
note of the jet number.  Once you see what you have, you can start installing
smaller jets in steps until you get to where you want.

When the engine performance starts getting a gutless feeling during moderate
acceleration, you are getting slightly lean.  I'd advise against jumping
across large steps in jet sizes.  Take it nice and slow.  Jets are relatively
cheap.  Don't be afraid to experiment, but before you do, you might want to
stop by a good bookstore and pick-up a book on Holley carbs so you'll better
understand what you're doing.

The stock jets found in the Holley 2210C carb are usually around 52's (522's)
depending on the application.  That doesn't mean a 52 will be right for *your*
carb though.  Likely with a 2300 series you will need larger jets.

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke