Ford 5.0 in Scout

Tom and John H, I'm not so sure about the 5.0--
  My 89 5.0 in my convertible Mustang is rated 225 HP (NET) and
300 ft-lb torque, though I'm not sure how flat the actual curves are. My
CT-402 Specs book shows a 304 to have about 170 HP (NET),
and 260 ft-lb torque (NET).  I would maintain that the 5.0
would be an acceptable Scout motor.  Note that it is multi-port
injected, computer controlled to make those numbers.  Some
minor mods will get more.  I believe this powerplant would get
some nice MPG figures also.  I think we are talking about something
Tom posted--new technology is making higher HP/Torque from
the same or less cubes.  But, the engines are also working harder to
do so.  I doubt a 5.0 would last as long in a Scout as it does in a
Mustang.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup