Ah, Grasshopper

>Laura:
>
>If by "places" you mean wrecking yards, than the "345" engine size is
>significant in that it identifies your vehicle as an IH. AND, as Landry
>said, the "Chrysler 727 Torqueflight" was used in many other vehicles and
>even with AMC motors in IH vehicles. For the built in bellhousing of the
>transmission you get to have the correct IH bolt pattern to bolt to your
>345 you need a 727 Torqueflight from a vehicle with an IH motor - not AMC,
>not Chrysler, etc..
>
>It's the bell housing bolt patter that is making the main difference here.
>As JL pointed out, you can always swap the tailshafts if the one you pick
>up is different.
>
>Tom H.

Grasshopper,
I thought that John L. and Tom H. gave you distinguished answers that may
have demonstrated that they didn't understand your question. On the other
hand, perhaps it is I who didn't understand your question. If you wanted
to know if transmission rebuilders really needed to know what engine your
Scout had in it, the answer is no, they didn't unless their computer
refused to answer without that information, as someone else suggested.
John H.

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
"Perhaps more to remember than ever really happened"
Life Member, National Rifle Ass.     California Rifle and Pistol Ass.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group and MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"