Re: Diff Options?

>replace them every 2 years (they wanted me to buy
>a ARB...) So whats the durability of lockrights?  This is my daily driver
and I
I've heard Lockrights will eventually wear out... how soon/how long?  *shrug*

>know the street is havoc on lockers, so is an ARB my

Actually, the street + auto-lockers are havoc on TIRE WEAR... due to the
scrubbing when you make a tight (particularly low-speed) turn.. it requires
a bit of friction/torque to uncouple the outside wheel in a turn, and the
tire will scrub just a little prior to the locker unlocking.

>best bet?  I don't want to spend 600, 250 sound better to me, or should I
just rebuild my trac-loc?

As Curt said... you'll need a new carrier for the Lockright anyhow... which
I think is in the $40 neighborhood, so that Lockright is now $300.

The tried n' true Detroit is said to be Bullet Proof or as near to it as you
can get (I've known folks that HAVE grenaded Detroits.. it can happen!.. and
I gather it ain't pretty either)... and it should be in the $500 range... if
your diff is "shot" you're looking at a new R&P and setup anyhow, so if you
EVER wanted a Detroit, now is the time.

There's a thread on the ORD about autolockers vs. ARB at the moment...

Unless icy roads are a real high priority for you, an autolocker seems to be
the best compromise.  The ARB has NO down-side on the street (well, price)
but it isn't perfect for off-road due to it's "Spool" design when locked and
"open" when unlocked.

A Detroit or Lockright have the best characterisitcs of a spool while still
allowing you to turn w/o scrubbing (a lot) or breaking stuff... but they do
have their quirks on the street... which most people live with.

I followed a '74 Bronco with a Detroit in the 9" rear on the highway
Saturday at 60+ with ice n' snow on the road... up a mountain pass.  He had
no problems with the rear locker.

He also did a lot better in the 2'+ snow he and I were playing in all day
long... vs. the open/open Chevy pickup with 32s that was trying to follow
the Bronco and my Scout through the snow fields and between the trees...

-Tom