tranny woes

Reapers,
   Here is what happened to my tranny. Earlier in the day Ugly was
warning me that there was something wron, but; I didn't listen to him. I
should have.
   I got up in the boulders in the mini-rubicon and that is when I lost
my tranny. I didn't puncture anything, the tranny just went into a
complete slip. I saw smoke coming out from under the truck so I ot out
of the truck and saw that there was tranny fluid pouring out of, THE
FLEX PLATE INSPECTION COVER! I at first thought I blew up the torque
converter, but I still had a little gear action if I needed it, my next
thought was the main seal behind the torque converter. I don't know what
caused the slipping, nor do I know where the fluid came from. Once I was
out of the park and on the pavement the tranny would shift, at first,
but; two of the jeeps in the group lost their alternators so there auto
electronic trannies wouldn't shift and I lost my second and third gears.
I limped back to the hotel in first. This morning, I pu a quart of type
F fluid in and emptied a can of 2+2 into the tranny and took it for a
drive. It would now shift up from first to third, but; wouldn't down
shift. If I manually shifted into first then it would downshift. Even
then it would hang-up before shifting, then POP into gear.
   I'm pretty much convinced that the tranny is toast. I plan on yanking
it and re-building it myself with lower gears and a shift kit. I also
plan on plumbing an AC condenser into the coolant lines with an electric
fan on it.
   Also, I lost all oil pressure in my engine on the way down the
mountain. My theory on this is I blew the by-pass valve on the oil
filter and this prevented any oil pressure in the engine. I haven't
replaced the filter yet so I don't know if this is right. What do you
guys think?

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The