Re: Scout II axles

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:51:24 -0600 "Throm" <throm13@domain.elided> writes:
>I own a 1974 scout II, 345v8, 4 speed auto.
>My ID plate on the door says that the gvwr is 5400 lbs.
>2700 for the front, 2700 for the rear.
>what type of axles are these?
>

>jason

Rear axle will be a Dana 44, IH code 14018 for open diff, 14028 with
TracLok.

Front axle was specified to be a Dana 44, IH code 02044.  However, a
considerable quantity had a Dana 30 substituted because of a shortage of
44's.  This change was not reflected on the lineset which will say 02044.
You can tell the difference by looking at the passenger side U-bolts.  On
the 30, they are of equal length.  On the 44, the inner one is longer as
it goes around part of the diff housing.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]