Oil Pump Priming & Re-Introduction

Joe also had some qualms about my method of priming the oiling system so I
went back and read it again and I don't think I was clear at all with it and
if looked at from the point of view I think he has, he has a point.

When I said a straight bit, I think it was very possible that others
understood me to mean something like a bit that goes in a cordless
screwdriver.  That wasn't what I was talking about.

I was talking about a 3/8 drive socket straight screwdriver bit.  This would
go onto any regular 3/8 extension or ratchet.  If the tools are high
quality, the chance of the bit coming off the extension are very slim and
even if separated, the bit is large enough that it should be retrievable by
a magnet.  The nice part of this method is that you can use an air ratchet,
hand speed wrench, regular ratchet, or whatever else you have that you can
turn with.  You don't have to use a drill and you don't have to turn the
pump very fast.  I did it by hand until I knew the filter was full and the
pressure gauge started to move a little, then I used the air ratchet to see
what my relief valve opened at.  (It opened at about 65 pounds)

The torque to turn the pump to this pressure is not inconsequential.  I have
several of the tools in my box that Joe described to prime pumps that I
don't use because they really only work well with my 1/2" air drill and have
been known to slip in the chuck and drop grindings down the distributor
hole. I've since modified sockets, bits, etc. to prime the pump in the
manner I described with positive attachments to the drive tools.

There is a risk of separation of the parts.  If that risk is too great for
you, then by all means use something else.  Just be sure to prime the pump
and fill the filter, otherwise you will have more wear on initial start-up
than you will probably get in the next 25,000 miles.

Joe also asked me what I was certified from ASE.  I forgot to email him back
(sorry Joe) but I'll add it here.  When he asked, it occurred to me that I
have been absent from posting here for quite a while.  Many of the
"old-timers" probably remember me (vaguely) but the list membership is in a
constant state of change and many of the names I read don't know who I am at
all.  I have kept up with the list though, and am familiar with all of you
(BTW, Tom M, don't ever grow up.  I suspect that in another 2 years max,
your Scout will be so damn heavy from all the stuff you have on there that
you might be interested in this really nice 8V92TTA, 435hp rebuildable core
I have in the back just to get your old bucket out of the driveway every
morning.)

I was certified in engines-mechanical repair and overhaul, a/c
systems-repair, electrical and electronic diagnosis and repair.  I keep my
IMACA a/c certification current and have my own recovery equipment for both
134 and R12.  These groups may have changed since then (I think the last
time I took the tests was in about '91 or '92). My certifications have
expired as I don't do this for a living any longer since dad retired from
farming and I took over the entire operation in '93.  I've been farming my
own since '74 at some level, but when he retired it more than doubled the
size of the operation.

I have also attended Mercury Marine service schools in Dallas 4 different
times.  I was (and as far as I know still am as there isn't an expiration on
the certificates) certified in MR drives, Alpha Drives, Bravo Drives, and
SSII and IV drives.  All Sterndrive engines and MIE (Mercury Inboard
Engines).  I have also been to OMC schools, but they are nothing as compared
to Mercury so I don't really count them.

I worked in the shop and as foreman for the shop for a marine dealer for 6
years.  During this time, I built several race engines and for a short time
one of my engines held the APBA record in A/Gas Flat Bottom.  After that I
was in more demand to build engines than I really wanted to be and thought
there would be less traveling with circle burners but I really didn't care
for that type of racing all that much.  Although some of the sprint cars
really have cool fuel injection set-ups and that was fun.

Since I started farming full time, all my maintenance work is done in my
shop.  That includes all repairs and overhauls.  My operation currently has
13 diesel engines ranging from 435 hp to less than 60 hp and the brands of
Perkins, Cummins, Detroit, and IHC.  (BTW, for those of you looking for a
six for your projects, look long and hard at the little DT466 from IHC.  It
is really a sweet little engine.)  I also maintain 5 cars and vans, 8 light
duty trucks, 4 medium duty trucks, and 2 heavy duty trucks.  I have Massey
Ferguson, Steiger, IHC, Rickel, Hesston, and other equipment.  I also have a
Glastron Jet Boat with a 388 Chevy that has dyno'd out at 535 hp although I
haven't had it on the water in 5 years.  Too busy in the summers now.
Anybody want to buy it?

My dad worked at the Massey Ferguson dealership (now also a Case/IH dealer
as well) for as long as I can remember.  In the shop until 10 years ago when
he started running the delivery truck (a CO9670 with a 300hp Cummins 855).
I grew up in the diesel shop, and worked my way through college in a diesel
shop at the IH dealer in Hays, closed in the mid-80's and only recently
reopened).  I can't remember the last time I had any of my vehicles in a
repair shop other than my own.  This was a major stretch for me to buy the
reman'd short block rather than build it myself.  If I'd have had a 392
decent core, I wouldn't have done it.

I've had my pilot's license (Private, single engine land) since 1983.  My
older brother is chief Pilot for a corporation (Blue Beacon Truck Washes,
http://www.bluebeacon.com ) that operates a business jet (Cessna Citation
II), a King Air 350, a King Air 200, a Hughes 500 helicopter, and Hughes 300
helicopter, and a Piper Seneca.  He has his A&P/IA (aircraft and powerplant
mechanic and Inspector Authorization) and they have a 2 full time mechanics
in their company.  He wrenches when the a/c are down for maintenance, but
his primary responsibility is in managing the flight department and flying
the jet.  The last two years, I started flying seriously again and have
gotten my instrument rating and multi-engine rating with instrument
endorsement.  I'm working on my A&P, but it's very slow because of the
experience requirements.  I'm also building my own aircraft currently, a
plans built Cozy.

 This explains my familiarity and interest in the aviation mechanics aspect
of my posts I hope.

In short, if I post something that you take issue with, let me know.  I have
a LOT of experience in many different areas that sometimes leads me in a
different direction than others.  But that certainly doesn't make me right
all the time.  Just experienced and opinionated.  :-)  I guess you could
call me an old fart before my time.  In my case though, I don't think it's
the years so much as the mileage.

I'll be civil and polite when I tell you to go to hell.  Not really, I'm
rarely civil and polite, but I will buy the round of beers when my turn
comes around.   Hope this answers some of your questions Joe, and anyone
else that was wondering.

John Stricker
jstricke@domain.elided

"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegetarian"