RE: Engine rebuild list for John Landry

>Also, several months ago someone posted a complete itemized list of all
>costs associated with doing a rebuild on their IH engine.  I've searched
>the many 1000's of Digest messages I've archived and cannot locate that
>one.  If that sender saved a copy in his e-mail out box, can you please
>e-mail me another copy?  I'm trying to prepare a budget for rebuilding
this
>V392 I purchased at a wrecking yard over the Thanksgiving weekend.

>Thanks a million,

>John

John, here is the list  I compiled for my 345.  I'm copying this from a
different file, so if it doesn't print correctly, I'll try to send it
again.

Mike Ryan
1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials
***************
From Summit Racing Equipment     1-800-230-3030:
-  Competition Cams 260H Series K kit.       Part# K83-201-4
price $347.69
     Kit included:
     Cam - 260 deg. Advertised duration, 212 deg. @ .050"  #IH-260H-10
     Valve Springs with dampners
    #961-16
     timing gears
     Hydraulic lifters
                   #855-16
     Valve stem seals (only put on intake side, not exhaust)

-  Sterling/Federal Mogul                       (Bored .020 over)
    Hypereutectic pistons                             Part# H997CP.020
          price  $179.12
-  Sealed power premium rings set                # E-270K  (20 over)
price  $54.39
-  Clevite Main bearing (standard size)           # MS-516P
     price  $50.39
-  Clevite Rod bearings  (standard size)        # CB-581 P
    price  $55.92
-  Clevite Cam bearings  (standard size)      #SH-426S
  price  $29.39

                                  TOTAL         $716.9
From JC Whitney   1-312-431-6102:
-  Fel Pro Overhaul Gasket set IHC V8          #38YJ8725P
price  $88.95
   kit included
       Fel Pro Valve Grind Gasket set               #37YJ5170T
       Fel Pro Conversion Gasket set              #38YJ3722B

                                   TOTAL        $88.95
From engine shop:
BLOCK
- Vat block
                                     $35
- Magna flux block
                              $20
- Rebore block
                                $75
- Install cam bearings
                           $30
- Check alignment of crank bore
                 $10
CRANK, RODS, AND PISTONS
- Check rod ends (16)
                          $64
- Recondition (resize large ends) of rods (8)
          $80
- Assemble pistons (8)
                         $48
- Clean and polish crank
                        $32.50
HEADS
- Disassemble and Flux heads (2)
              $28
- Guides repaired (16)
                          $72
- G836 guides (16) at $3.77 each
                $60.36
- B103 shims (16)
                            $ 4.
- AX1383 exhaust valve (1)
                      $26.25
- Mill cylinder heads (2)
                           $40
- Valve job
                                    $75
OTHER
- Balance engine
                            $135
- Remove and reinstall cam gear
              $10
- EPA disposal fee
                           $25.61
- Shop Supplies
                            $25.61

                                        TOTAL   $896.33

Other costs:
- Dowel bushings (align heads on block) from The Scout Connection
   Part #133 452R1       3 @ $2.45 each=$7.35 + 5.36 shipping
   $12.71
- Freeze plugs, threaded plugs, etc
                        ~$25 ish
- Large bottle of 271 Locktite, Engine Assemble lube, etc...
         $40 ish
- Purchase of grinding bits to port heads and intake
             $45 ish
- 1 quart POR-15 black $31, 1 pint POR Engine Enamel Colorcoat
   in '56-'57 Chevy Red (looks close to IH red) $16 +shipping
       $50
- Oil pump rebuild kit - AutoZone #019047 K-71E
             $37.26
- Rental of engine hoist (not included)
- Purchase engine stand from Sam's Club (works very well) (not included)
- Spread bore 4-barrel intake (not included)
- Purchase of feeler gauges, calipers, etc... (not included)
- Purchase of other tools, like torque wrench, die grinder, etc (not
included)

                                            TOTAL  $209.97

                                                    OVERALL TOTAL
$1912.15

So far, these are the costs I can document.  I'm sure their are others.
Since this is my first engine rebuild, I've had to purchase a lot of
items that drove my total costs way up.

Recommendations:
- Balance the engine!  Especially if you go to the Hypereutectic pistons.
  They are much   lighter than the original pistons.  My engine was over
100 grams out on both ends.
- When ordering pistons, make sure you get the flat top pistons (as
above).  The first set of pistons and rings I received were for the older
engines and had a part domed/part recessed surface.  The pistons I
ordered are supposed to increase the compression slightly, to around 8.5
to 1, and have all the "new" technology added to them.
- Spend the extra time during disassembly to place and label every part
in plastic bags, including which bolt goes in which hole (if different
sizes or lengths).
- If you haven't done this before, find an engine shop that is VERY
understanding and willing to answer ALL your questions.
- Measure EVERYTHING!  It takes a lot of extra time, but is worth it.  I
found two problems during my assembly that could/would have trashed my
engine.
- The two step POR paint process makes for a beautiful engine, but is
very labor intensive.  I painted each part individually with a brush, and
you wouldn't believe the finish!  Next time, I might assemble everything
first, then paint it all at once.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]