Re: Tire Pressure and a story about tire pressure

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, John Hofstetter wrote:

> I know that some guys must "air down" too far, but I don't recall ever
> seeing that. I've also seen and experienced damaged rims and sidewalls,
> but none of those can be attributed to too-low tire pressures.

I like to think my dented rims are from too low pressure and too much
weight/motion rocking the Scout down onto 'em or slamming the tire into a
rock and then pushing in 'till the rim meets rock..

> took pity on me, commented that my winch wouldn't do much good unless I
> got something to winch to, whistled at a guy coming by in an old Datsun
> 4WD, told him to get in position for anchoring, and pulled my winch cable
> winch he couldn't use in his expensive vehicle, but those guys never even
> snickered. I thank them and I owe them.

The dummy that hadn't aired down, and didn't have a PULL-PAL to use his
expensive winch on his expensive vehicle in the anchor-less sand.  :-)

BTW, saw another ZJ with a winch on it... you're not the ONLY one, John!

> John H. who even has the "airing down" adaptors so he can put them on and
> they let the air pressure down automatically, if he bothers to use them.

I made an adapter like Bill Theberts for airing down 2 tires.. or up.

Just some 3/8" air line, some clip-on air chucks, and a T.

One side has a male quck connect for coupling to my on-board air 50ft
coil hose's chuck.

One side has a female coupler.. with either a valve-stem thing on it for
using a pencil gauge.. or put my new 0-60psi air guage on a quick connect
into it.

I also have an on/off air flow valve.

Filling the tires, I can use this valve to let air from teh compressor
into the tires.. then turn it "off" so I can check pressure, then back on.

Air down?  Don't hook the 50ft coil up, and use the male quick connect to
blow air out very rapidly.. and control it (again, check the pressure)
with that on/off valve.

Now to just get a front bumper w/ air tank fabbed...

-Tom