Re: Tranny cable.

In a brilliant stroke of genius, jmbrodsky@domain.elided blurted out:

>        Yeah I adjusted the cable correctly according to the manual, and
>     have been adjusting that way since I got the truck and manual 8 years
>     ago.  The problem is that the cable is out of adjustment one way at
>     the 1st gear setting, and out of adjustment THE OTHER way at the park
>     setting.  Basically, I can't fully engage Park, NOR can I fully engage
>     1st gear.  Neutral works, the others are progressively out of
>     adjustment over the range of gears.

Joel,

Is there any reason to believe this is not the original tranny for the
truck?  The reason I ask is that I was just wondering if maybe the shifting
lever is a different length on your tranny from what's it's supposed to be?
This would make the movement of the shifting lever on the tranny not match
the "throw" of the shifter in the cab.

Just theorizing here... Let's say that tranny came from an early IH pickup
or something.  Maybe this early TF727 destined for a pickup has a different
length shifting lever... not much mind you, but enough to cause your
problem.  This sort of problem is common when installing aftermarket
carburetors.  In that case, the throttle cable (or lever) must move a
different amount to fully actuate the throttle plates on the new carb
verses the old one.  Sometimes the problem is bad enough to require
fabrication of a bell crank to amplify or reduce the throttle cable
movement.

Maybe there's something you could do to amplify the movement of the sifter
lever by somehow hooking up the cable farther out on the transmission shift
lever.  If not (not other place to hook it up), maybe you could weld a
small extension onto the lever to make it longer and move the cable
attaintment point to there.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |