Front Brake Rebuild Questions...Please Respond

Morning JohnL and all,

I am redoing my D44 Scout front disc brakes.  A few questions.

In the past, I read of people swapping to Ford calipers?  Why?
I do note that one of my brake piston has a Ford stamping in it.
Should this tell me something.  All is original as far as I can tell.

Also, I happen to have a set of new disc pads for an old '78 Ford
F150 I once owned.  I compared them to the Scout pads and they
look identical!

My calipers were fun to disassemble.  The bleed nipples were snug
enough to fear a shear off.  A bit of oil, a propane torch and an air
impact with six point socket did the trick.  Thinking back, was I
lucky or did I stack the cards my way ...i.e. did the heat expand the
caliper thread area, expand both caliper and nipple thread areas,
melt away the rust, or some combo of the above.  I ask because, in
the future, I want to know if I should play the heat mainly on the
caliper or on both caliper and nipple.  My nipple concern was that
I might heat soften the wrenching area and not be able to get a grip.
I have always wondered about the above.

In rebuilding the brakes, I have a kit, but the gaiters look new once
cleaned up.  I am told to never reuse the seal ...mine are "pitted"
on the backside due to rust in the caliper land.  But the gaiter ...I
am not sure.  The brass brake line/ caliper sealing rings ...is it OK
the gently clean them up, thoroughly inspect and reuse?  I assume it
is imperative to get them turned the right way (grooved)?  Is it OK
to gently sandblast the caliper inside (light rust)?  Can I use some
sort of special grease to pack the seal landing and prevent moisture
accumulation/rust?  Any tips/tutorial on this is appreciated.  I am
about to reassemble the works ...so there is no time like the
present.  Good preventative tips are always appreciated ...and ideas
on simple upgrades to the brakes as well (while I'm at it).

I once cleaned my brake gaiters and seal rings with kerosene.  Big
mistake ...they swelled to twice their size ...quite humorous when I
took them out and tried to reassemble!

Also, I have always been annoyed that to repack the front inner
bearings requires a new grease seal.  So ...I have successfully been
able to pry them out without distortion/damage.  I use a large
screwdriver and gently walk around lifting the bottom of the metal
ring.  I do need to refile/smooth the ring to allow smooth reuse.  My
inspection shows no reason why reuse is folly.  Does anyone see a
problem with this?  It is not the $6 each cost ...just that when I
need one, I need one (with no wheels to get it) ...planning ahead,
are you kidding!...so I often disregard repacking this bearing as a
result.  I do not see this seal as critical ...I may reuse and look
regularly for weeping ...what do you think?

By the way, can I use kerosene to clean up these seals ...does the
rubber seal part swell like brake rubbers.

The inner metal splash shields ...those rotten remains have annoyed
me enough ...I have removed them ...I will monitor as to what harm
may result.  I know the bearing will be properly sealed ...I guess
they keep the rotor clean???  Your comments appreciated!!!

Mark