Re: The Mechanics Worst Nightmare! & welding

John L asked:
>Dumb question: Should I attempt this with my small MIG welder, or am I
going
to need an excessive amount of heat for the weld?  I could increase the
wire
stickout to get down into the weld area if I used a nut over the end of the
broken bolt / extractor.<

John,

  The reason I suggest a tig torch is because the operator has total
control of a pin point of 50,000+ degrees F heat.  The melted puddle is
clearly visible and you can add filler metal (rod) or not as needed.   In
cases like yours,  a fusion weld (no filler) will usually do the job.
Whereas, with mig, you can't weld without adding filler metal (wire).   The
filler metal may obscure the area to the extent you wouldn't be able to see
whether you've bonded to anything or just laid gobs of weld onto the area.

  You might be able to do it with the mig.  It's worth a try since you've
got the machine.   Practice on some scrap nuts and bolts to find the best
settings.  Be sure to get unplated nuts,  zinc or cad  plating will make it
harder to get any penetration or bond.

  Speaking of welding, the easiest test I've seen for a person's welding
ability is to butt weld pieces of mild steel.  Put the welded pieces in a
vise and bend at the weld seam.  A good weld will bend.  If it breaks at
the weld you're not getting a good weld.

Doug