Re: Pertronix question

Hello,
        Thanks for the answer. I'm pretty confident with my ignition
system, except for the coil. It is stock and very old. Still, it seems to
work well.  I hate to replace something if it works but if I do decide to
get a new one, any suggestions?
         I decided to compromise with the plug gaps. I put them at .035
and will work my way up in time.
         One thing that surprised me, after installing the pertronix, was
the amount of advance it created. It was off the chart. With the points
setup I was running 5 deg advance and  my dwell was within specs. I don't
understand why it would do that. I backed it down to 10 and everything
seems to run very well now.
          Thanks Again,

George H
72 Scout II
345

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:05:01 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
writes:
>When the truth serum kicked in, gbhx@domain.elided (George Humphrey)
>blurted out...
>
>>        I finally received my Pertronix ignitor in the mail
>yesterday. I
>>assume it won't make any difference but should the spark plug gap be
>>changed? The instructions don't say anything about changing from
>stock
>>specifications.
>
>George,
>
>While you don't *have* to change the spark plug gap, with a Pertronix
>Ignitor,
>you can get away with... and benefit from... increasing the spark plug
>gap.
>But before you do that, you need to make sure the rest of your
>ignition system
>is in top shape.  Make sure your coil, spark plug wires, distributor
>cap and
>rotor are all in like new condition.
>
>As you increase the spark plug gap, the voltage in the secondary
>ignition
>system will also increase.  Therefore, if you have a marginal set of
>plug
>wires, you could get arcing through the insulation to engine ground...
>or get
>shocked when working around the engine.
>
>With a high quality coil and plug wires, increasing your gap to .050"
>would be
>fine.  That's what I run mine at and it seems to run better than at
>the
>original plug gap.  The idle is smoother and starting is easier.  I
>can't
>really tell the difference at highway speeds and there was no change
>in gas
>mileage.  I find the main benefit of the larger gap is the plug seems
>to stay
>cleaner, although it wasn't bad to start with.
>
>But again, don't increase the plug gap until you make sure the rest of
>the
>system can handle the increased voltage.
>
>Regards,
>
>John L.
>
>jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous
>conglomeration
>Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally
>constitutes
>Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
>WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull
>soldiers
>Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks
>more
>http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van
>Dyke

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]