Re: D300

>With the front driveshaft in and my new hubs I've been really waiting for
>some snow it hit..
>Unfortunately it's been record highs here in Chicago... Almost 70... and
>it's almost December..
>Strange to say the least.. anyway... looking at the Scout this weekend I've
>noticed that the
>Front driveshaft has some play in it.. it's not the u-joints it's coming
>from the Dana 300 output.. Am I loosing it.. Is something wrong.. I put it
>in 4 wheel and drove around a bit..
>No problems that I can see but I'm a bit scared of doing any off roading..
>Anyone have any info?
>
>Thanx,
>
>Jeff Bade
>Chicago, IL
>1980 Scout ][, 304, TF727, D300, 3" Body lift, 4" Spring lift,
>33x12.5xr15 tires, 4 wheel disk, SS][ converted
>http://binderbulletin.org/upload/JBScout.jpg

  The nut that holds the yoke on has probably backed off some. You could
also have some bearing damage. The IH manual doesn't include the Dana 300
so I can't give exact specs, but you should have less then 5 thousands of
end-play. The manual lists the Dana 20 front shaft at .001 inch and the
rear shaft at .005 inch end-play. The nut takes a 1 1/8 inch socket (thick
walled sockets won't clear the yoke) and should be torqued down to 200-300
Ft. Lbs. (Dana 20 spec). This is a lot easier to do with a Impact wrench.

If torquing down the nut doesn't get rid of the end-play, or if you have
bearing noise you'll have to pull the case apart and rebuilt it.

Darrel Kline
1980 Scout