Springs, and shifter cable.

     IH'ers.  Glad to hear all the Thanksgiving stories, and hope everyone
     had a good holiday.

        On to pressing issues:

        Replaced the spring bushings in the Scout over the weekend.  Dick
     Cepek Red Poly.  MAN'O'MAN!  What a difference!  Rides like a freakin
     sports car.  50 MPH over funked up roads, smooth as can be.  Steering
     alot easier to plan too!  No more pulls this way and that.  Now, the
     cool thing.  I swapped the direction of the springs, back to front,
     thus putting the interrupted (eye-bolt style) spring eye in the front
     and the common spring eye in the back.  The new setup reverses the
     spring direction, and add caster (My calcs say about 4 deg., based
     also on the 2.5 deg shims I have in stock).  It's a bit hairy when
     backing up quickly, but going forward, what a difference!

        Recommendation to all:  Swap the springs in (the lengths are
     symmetrical) and your truck too, can handle this well.  Now to fix the
     body, and shift cable which is my next dilemma.

        I did the transmission and transfercase a few weeks ago, and
     everything is hunkey dorey until I got to drive away and twang, broke
     the shift cable.  Now, I ordered a brand new one from AT Scouts, and
     it went right in:

        Problem, it appears the the original shifter (1976), paired with
     the 3 week old cable, aren't doing the same job.  My shifter is
     adjusted (the little screw thingy), however, I have trouble shiting
     into 1st gear, and Park, and the others aren't very positive either.
     Neutral is the only one I can get with regularity.  It actually
     appears that the shifter needs to 'pull more cable' thus I must
     increase the distance between the shifter pivot, and the mount for the
     cable adjuster thingy.  I was just going to weld on a piece of 1/4"
     steel and drill a new hole, thus allowing me to adjust cable pull, as
     well as length.  Anyone ever have this problem?  I was unnerved to
     have this.  I basically have to pull the catch under the shifter
     handle and FEEL for each gear.  Much pain in the keester.

        Thanks everyone, and if I can get this fixed, I'll begin to get the
     scout out on the runs too!  I'm actually planning on towing it to
     Tulare in April, behind my yellow '75 T'all.  If I have the '74 2wd
     running, maybe my GF can drive that.  Then I'd have the entire Brodsky
     IH fleet at the show.  Wow!  What a thought!

     Thanks,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?