Re: If you had 10k for your Scout

jeff butler wrote:

> Hi, all.  Hope you had a good Thanksgiving...
>
> I seek several solutions for my Scout - and I need some help finding
> them.  I've got a '70 800a.  It's in really good shape.  No rust, nice
> paint.  But it doesn't handle that great off road and could go for some
> particular restoration - like a tight window solution, doors that shut
> like new, and a tailgate that doesn't jiggle around (it's missing the
> spring that holds the latch in place).
>
> I'm looking for a new vehicle out of this I guess.  I'd like a like-new
> machine anyway.  The only thing I can find that's close to the Scout -
> or at least what I want my Scout to be is a Defender.  28k for a '94
> with 68k miles on it just sounds like a lot.  SO I figure, why not spend
> 10k on my Scout instead?  That's really what I want anyway.
>
> Thus enters my dilemma - I don't have a garage, couldn't do all the work
> myself, and haven't really found a place like http://www.roverland.com/
> that specializes in rebuilding Scouts.  Are there more places that
> specialize in certain things - like the place that does power
> steering/disc brake conversions?  How about interior work?  What about
> the exterior seal - like doors and windows...?  Can I get that Scout to
> be where I want it to be - and be better off than if I plunked down for
> a Defender?
>
> Any thoughts on how to spend 10k on a Scout to make it REALLY nice?  I
> suppose we'd all spend our money somehow different, but my engines
> pretty good (304) and the axles seem fine.  So where do I start?  Where
> would you start?
>
> Thanks for you help - I'm working on a website for it
>
> http://www.cmm2.jmu.edu/scout
>
> if you're interested.  I need to figure out how much effort I'm willing
> to put into this Scout, I guess.  I'm sitting on the fence.  If you
> offered me the right amount, I may pass this dilemma on to you...but
> that would really leave me feeling empty...
> &:-)
>
> jeff
> jeffman@domain.elided
> http://www.cmm2.jmu.edu/scout

Jeff-

I think the first question would be, where are you located?  There are
several specialty places like the Rover place you mentioned that could
do just the work that you are talking about, and for 10K, I'm sure you
could get substantial stuff done.  Of course, at its very modified best,
I am not sure if a Scout 800 is going to have what you would find in a
'94 Rover, but to those of us that love IH, there is no question.  Let
me know where you live and I will recommend a place to you.

Good Luck!

Michael