Re: Smog and Dan

Well, O.K. to satisfy Chris, I'll through my usual passion into this
debate.
   Where in the Constitution, Declaration of Independance, or other
great documents of our founding fathers does it spell out the goverments
role of parents with the people of the United States as children? The
DoI states that we are indowed with these inalienable rights, Life
Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This statement, the very basis of
our goverment, is in direct contradiction with where we are in this
country.
   Life is infringed appone in ways that are not in the scope of this
list.
   Liberty. What is liberty? Liberty is the right and freedom to do what
you want that doesn't adversly effect others. In other words, you can do
whatever you want to yourself, such as smoke cigarettes or drink
alchohol, but; when you drink alchohol and put yourself in a position
where you may potentially hurt others, such as drive a car, then you
forfit that portion of freedom and liberty.
   Pursuit of Happiness. What is the pursuit of happiness? Why is that
provision in the Declaration of independance? Originally that was to say
private property, but many of the people in the colonies were poor and
didn't possess property.  This pursuit of happiness was a broad version
of the private property concept. The poor folks wanted to possess
property or things that would make their lives easier and richer. That
would be happiness. Nothing says that you must have happiness, but; that
you are free to pursue happiness.
   Where does all this tie to IH's? Liberty is the right to own whatever
age/vintage vehicle you desire, with the caveat that it doesn't adversly
affect other people. Safety inspections for things like brakes, lights,
ect... are safegaurds that keep everyones right to liberty preserved.
Emmissions testing is a direct intrusion to the right of Liberty, for
normal responsible people. I would assume that most of us here on the
list have every desire to have a clean running vehicle, because a clean
engine is an efficient engine. I like to have my V8 power on demand,
but; I like to achieve 12-14 MPG minimum. Therefore, I keep my carb on
the cautions side of lean and keep fresh oil in the crank, ect.. Now
granted there are people who don't make the effort to keep their vhicles
clean, because they don't know how, or they are lazy, therefore
emmission testing is nesesary, in a form tht makes people desire to keep
their engine clean. Not in a tyranicle fashion that makes people toe the
line and force property out of thier hands in the form of forfieture, or
manditory monies spent.
   I've waxed very long winded here, so I'll end this for now.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II  345/auto