Torque Monsters and Stump pullers.

Hi all:

Last night I finally found out how much low end torque these cornbinders
have.   I was on my way to Wednesday nite service at Church, and I was in a
hurry.   My "Good Gas Mileage truck". (81 Chevy 1/2 ton  six and 3 on tree)
locked up the shift linkage and the transmission was bound up The truck was
stuck between two gears and would not move.   Luckily I was at the end of
the driveway so I was not blocking the road.    Well I needed to get the
Chevy out of the way,  So I fired up the '74 IH 3/4 ton 4X4 and hooked up a
chain and pulled that Chevy back to its spot.    I have a fairly long
driveway and it was rainin out.   Boy I Sure found out how much of a Torque
Monster that old 345 was.   I kept the truck in 2 wheel drive until I hit
Turf and then stuck it into 4 HI.   I got into some pretty soft mud, but the
truck had no qualms whatsoever about it.    When I was pulling the Chev, I
kept the trans in low and barely had to give it any gas.   It did not sit
there and spin at all.    It just took off.   I have tried to do similar
tasks with Chevys and Fords, but I would either stall them, or sit there and
spin.   I am impressed with the great low end torque of this truck.    My
truck is a gutless slug on the road but man it sure will pull.   I have yet
to own a truck that would pull this good.   The '68 Ford I had with the 390
V8 would not even pull nearly as good as my 345.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Chris (I should be deer hunting instead of truck fixin) "Lube" Lublin
1962 Rambler Classic (Runs but does not yet move)
1971 Plymouth Satellite. (the best car I own, parked for the winter)
1972 Scout II (Moves but not faster than 20 MPH with the T-case in low)
1974 IH 200 4X4. (Runs drives, not roadworthy yet, but I still drive it)
1981 Chevy C-10...(starts but dies when you let out clutch, will soon be
switched over to floor shift!)