Bendix drives, was Dreaded solenoid. . . . .

John L wrote:
>Sounds like you have a failed bendix on your starter, not the solenoid.
If the solenoid fails, the starter won't turn at all.  If just the bendix
fails, then the starter will turn over but it will not engage the ring gear on
the flywheel.
I think you need a new starter this time.<

John,
  In the interest of accuracy, I don't believe the mechanism on a Scout starter is a Bendix drive.  Quoting from a reference describing Bendix's "Basically, all operate by a combination of screw action and inertia to mesh the drive gear with the flywheel".  Now, the starters on our Scouts use a large solenoid with a shifter arm to engage the drive gear with the flywheel.

  In a Scout starter the flywheel engagement is via the solenoid operated shifter arm.  The" true" Bendix type starter gets its engagement via coarse threads on the end of the starter armature when the armature begins rotating.  A Scout starter could engage the flywheel even if the armature wasn't rotating, a Bendix couldn't.

  The business of the "remote" Ford solenoid was confusing to me at first.  I originally thought we were replacing the starter mounted Scout solenoid with one mounted in a more accessible place, like the firewall.  By putting the remote solenoid on a Scout we're adding ANOTHER solenoid, cause a Scout starter won't work without it's own solenoid.

  If we could mount a Bendix type starter on an IH motor with the solenoid on the firewall maybe we'd have a more reliable setup by eliminating that troublesome starter mounted solenoid.  Apparently, there are no easily adapted Bendix type starters for the IH engines though.

  Just my $.02 worth.  Have a happy turkey day.

Doug, who used to think all starters had Bendix's.