My engine problems (post to keep Dan N happy)

Yes, Dan I *do* occasionally read the digest on the weekends.:)  When I
have time.
Anyway, I got the Scout ('66 800 w/152) out of the barn yesterday, and
lost the rest of my 10 cans of spray paint on it.  10 cans *still* hasn't
covered all of the green lines and swirlies.:)  Gonna go to the paint
store sometime, and have them mix all of their leftover red paint and buy
that from them, and try out Dad's new air sprayer.
My problem is this:  It is running like hell (or a few other choice words,
take your pick at which!).  It sounds like it is only hitting on three
cylinders.  I pulled the plugs a little bit ago, and cleaned them, stuck
them back in, and it is running a *little* better, but still not great.
Running better than last night when I had to put it in 2wd low range just
to back it into the barn.  I have played around with the choke a lot, but
I can't seem to keep it running well enough for me to get out of the cab
and go pull some plug wires.  Maybe i haven't got it completely figured
out yet as to where the choke needs to be, or maybe it can sense when I
get out, but it won't stay running long enough for me to do much.
The plugs were wet and black.  The plugs are relatively new, probably only
been in the engine while running for a total of about an hour, if even
that much.  I used a blue paper shop rag, and they cleaned up pretty
easily.  I am thinking that it is just running a little rich at times when
I am playing with the choke, but I don't know.  I am also thinking that
the timing could be off, but I don't have a timing light, and I have NO
clue where to begin to check it, let alone change it.  I need to get it to
a real mechanic to have them look it over, but I can't afford it right
now.  It isn't a daily driver (I would like it to beone though), so I can
take my time with it.
Any ideas, anyone?  Any and all help appreciated.  It's a '66 800, 152 4
cylinder, w/a Holley 1bbl carb ("list 2494" it says on it).  I have
Champion RJ12YC (or something like that) spark plugs in it right now.

Dan Felix
1966 800 - running badly, now completely red, "Sweet Machine" no more!
1965 80 - rear tire rack won't come off (parts)
1964 80 - more parts, only they roll