Wagonmaster Gold Box Questions

Hello, All-

I went this morning to try to get the '74 Wagonmaster started that I
have been looking at.  I got it started, but after running for about
five minutes it dies out as if out of gas.  If you squirt some starting
fluid into it, it will start and hold idle again for a while before
dying again.  After playing with it this way for a while, I found that
it would not even turn over.  I checked the wires all the way down to
the starter, and the tester was showing juice.  I let it sit for about
forty minutes, and it would start again.
Is this the famed gold box problem?  What about the fuel thing?  The
truck has about 170,000 miles on it-I was thinking that the cam that
triggers the fuel pump may be worn.  If this is it, I would simply put
on an electric pump and not worry about it.
Any other ideas?  It is a 1974 Wagonmaster 2WD with a 392 and a Carter
Thermoquad I believe.  It is originally from Montana or Utah-not CA
equipped.  is there something about that carb that could be causing the
gas shortage problem?  It has been sitting for somewhere from two years
to five years-though inside in a dry area.  What should I do to get it
to where I can drive it home, at least.
Also, it appears to be leaking a small amount of brake fluid out of the
brake cylinder to vaccum "pump" junction.  It is a very small amount
that I do not notice being gone from the cylinder, but it makes smoke
like crazy, smells like burning brake fluid-which is not terribly
pleasant in my opinion-and makes me worry about the brakes themselves
giving out.  Is this a difficult gasket to replace, or what is in that
junction that could be leaking.  I am assuming that this is what it is
based upon smell and location, as I can see the front surface of the
pump "drum" being moist from the junction down, the smoke is only on the
same side as the brake equipment, and only in the area below where it
sits.  It still puzzles me, as it is smoking HUGE and there is no
noticeable (to the human eye) drop in the brake fluid level.  The only
fluid I didn't check was tranny, because I didn't actually drive or
shift to warm it up.  I suppse it could be tranny fluid too-what does
burning tranny fluid smell like?

Thanks to all for any input!

Michael