huge coolant leak problem

I recently thought I was almost finished reassembling my engine ('74
SII 345 with blocked off EGR) and was filling it with coolant when the
water came shooting out of exhaust port #3. This is the port that has
the pass-through to the EGR crossover, but nothing came out of exhaust
port #6.

I figured maybe the head wasn't seated right or the head gasket was in
wrong so I replaced the head gasket. It did not look like coolant had
been in the crossover passage, but was hard to tell as I got coolant
all over the place when pulling the intake. When I refilled it with
the new gasket, the same thing happened (at least I just used water
this time!). This time the rockers were not in place so the valves
were closed, and there appears to be no water in the cylinder. No
water came through the spark plug hole, just shot out the exhaust port.

What in the heck is going on?!! The heads were magnafluxed by the
machine shop and no cracks showed up. They didn't look at the intake,
but it was running before I tore it apart. I didn't swap any parts so
I didn't expect this kind of problem.

Is a gasket in wrong?
Is something cracked?
Am I missing a plug somewhere?
Why only one head and the same cylinder both times?

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

Thanks,
Jeff Taylor