ign key and exhaust

On the key thread - for now do as someone suggested and remove the
ignition switch on top of the column and manually start the beast.
REMEMBER - if your steering wheel locks, you will not be able to steer
(don't ask how I found this out).  When I bought my Scout the key was
broken off in the cylinder.  I just got a new cylinder and started from
scratch (about 40 bucks if I remember correctly).

On the exhaust thread - my first car was an '84 Blazer.  It was completely
solid, with no rust holes anywhere.  However, after five minutes of
driving I would get a terrible headache.  The exhaust system was complete
and solid, so I just attributed it to owning a Chevy.  It turns out, the
tailpipe did not extend far enough to clear the chassis.  Fumes were
coming in under the tailgate seal.  Moral of the story:  if you fix your
exhaust system and make sure it extends far enough, I do not think the
body will matter.  Those little exhaust particles would be able to
enter your truck even if it were complete.

Bill Wisser
Graduate Assistant
Duke-UNC Program in Latin American Studies